I am doing Project Life 365...you can check out my photos at www.scrappygirlsdailylife.blogspot.com!

Saturday, March 7, 2009

I Was Down...But Today I Went OUT!

After walking my feet off on Thursday we spent Friday lounging around the resort. At the end of the day I ventured out to the dock on the Potomac River to try to capture the sunset. Well, I missed it...

Today (Saturday) we were brave enough to venture out for one more day in DC. We started out at the Space and Air Museum....or is it Air and Space...too tired to get up and look...sorry...LOL! This is the Spirit of St. Louis that Lindbergh flew around the world.

This is the airplace (with new fabric in '48) that the Wright Bros. flew in 1903 for their first flight.

We found the McDonalds! It was hiding in the Air and Space Museum. They even have the McDonalds pizza...and these cool flavored cones...I was SO jealous and ready to move to DC until I learned the saddest thing...they do not have SWEET TEA! These poor deprived souls.

Thank you Pam for suggesting the Holocaust Memorial Museum. This was such a touching place to visit. It was hard to see the pictures of the people and then learn that they were killed hours or days later! The thousands of shoes exhibit touched me the most. This is a "Must-See."

The warm weather brought out the street performers. I love it! We heard a trumpet player, a saxophone player, and this guy with his sons. They were SO cool!

The next museum we visited was the Natural History Museum. I was mainly interested in seeing the dinosaurs and...

the Hope Diamond. It is So cool! They had several pieces of jewelry with interesting pasts. They had earrings that belonged to Marie Antoinette and a necklace and crown given to someone by Napoleon.

Dr. Hubby joined us for the National Museum of American History. I was thrilled that they had a Lincoln exhibit...I saw his top hat, suit, pocket watch, and several other items.

The pop culture junkie in me loved seeing Dorothy's red slippers and the C3PO costume used in Return of the Jedi!

As were walking back to the shuttle bus the sun was setting beyond the Washington Monument. With the warm weather, you could see couples cuddling on the benches, friends taking a stroll, and parents playing sports with their kids on the National Mall.

While waiting for the party bus, MIL and Dr. Hubby walked up the steps to the Capitol. Manga Dork and I were too tired. I wish I had went...they got to witness a guy proposing to his girlfriend on the steps! How romantic!
We go home tomorrow...check out at 1pm.

20 comments:

Jan said...

That is so cool about the proposal and all. How exciting. That Holocast is the hardest thing to see. I am so glad they make it hard for the little ones to watch those screens. And all those shoes. Oh how sad.

Love your pictures and that river is the best.

Dana and Daisy said...

now don't be jealous, but my daddy has his name on a plaque at the A&S Museum. I kid you not! He got to go and have dinner at the white house and everthang!

I hope to go see it some day!

uhm it was not for something he did alone, but something he was a part of.

Cynthia said...

Looks like another amazing day!

I wish the top hat photo had been up last week (yes, I know you hadn't seen it yet). My daughter had to do a report on Lincoln and it would have been fun to include a pic of the actual hat!

Pancake said...

Glad you went .... it is so very moving! I dont know if you watched some of the stories on the videos upstairs....

ENJOY yourself!

tammy said...

I really want to take the boys there. Love all the pics.

Luvpilot said the McD's in Boston serves lobster. I think I need to go there as well.

chelle said...

Thanks for sharing all the photos with us. I feel like I was there all over again. m

ps
I tagged you. If you want to play. I see you already have the award, but I thought of you and wanted to give it to you again anyway. m

The Blonde Duck said...

How can they live without sweet tea?

Anonymous said...

Came across your post and loved it. DC is one of my all time favorite places to visit!

Great POST!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!!

And... I think you are too busy to read lately!!! :D

Jen said...

You are visiting some of my most fave places! And you are so right on about the Holocaust museum! It's so sad, but very much a part of history. What an amazing day!

Marchelle said...

so you missed the sunset in the first pic... you did capture twilight! ;)

and NO SWEET TEA?!?! how do they LIVE?? even us yankees up here in indiana have sweet tea at our mcdonalds! LOL

tiki_lady said...

when we did dc, i went too. I loved the experience. It is something we should never forget! i am glad you are enjoying your visit! It is one of my most favorite spots

Terri said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip! Where are you; you haven't posted since Sat. That's not Scrappy!

Pancake said...

I came over to see where you were.... no posts in 5 days! Everything ok?

Anonymous said...

what a great time! The pics are great!

Pancake said...

Again just checking, so VERY unlike you to not be posting. Hope everything is ok.

CB said...

OK so I just read Manga Dorks blog and she says your internet is down. Mystery solved and what a bummer!!!
Hope your up and running again soon.
Maybe this is giving you some extra time to scrapbook!!!

Anonymous said...

wow... girl you are really getting to see so many things pertaining to important histprical events.

DesertHen said...

Scrappy, I hope all is okay? I miss your posts!!

I got my post card from D.C. So cool, thank you....=)

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

These are all just awesome pictures and stories.
Krissy would LOVE those red slipppers!
I'll take the diamond!
LOL!!!
I've walked those steps before! It's not an easy thing to do! Don't blame ya for sitting it out! LOL!!!