I am doing Project Life 365...you can check out my photos at www.scrappygirlsdailylife.blogspot.com!

Friday, September 11, 2009

Where Was I?

On 9/11/01 I had taken Manga Dork to kindergarten and was walking through my living room...the phone rang and my neighbor/childhood friend told me to turn on my tv. I sat on the edge of my couch with my hand over my mouth in shock! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My immediate reaction was I wanted to go pick Manga Dork up and keep her safe. Dr. Hubby wasn't home, but I don't remember where he was...probably work. He was doing medical school rotations at that time.

The things that haunted me most were seeing the people jumping from the windows and 2 names on the list of people on the planes...I suspect they were mom and daughter...I can't remember the mom's name or age, but the little girl was Julia Ann McCourt (2). I couldn't imagine being a mom with a 2 year old in that situation.

In the months after 9/11 I was very anxious...things felt so unstable and dangerous to me. I remember sitting outside and thinking I was so glad to live in the country in an area that didn't give me any reason to think they would use it as a target.

Then when the anthrax scare came around I was full on paranoid. My mom would stand outside my glass sliding door and show me my mail...throw away the junk mail...then open my mail to inspect it. I remember feeling like she was so brave. I still had a hard time touching it even after she had checked it.

I love feeling safe and secure...I truly appreciate everyone who has fought to protect our great country. I am glad President Bush had the courage to protect us. I sometimes wonder what the terrorists would have done if we had a president who did not make them run for the hills...

4 comments:

Pam said...

I remember that I was teaching that day when another teacher ran into my classroom to tell me about it. No one was sure what was happening at the time. IT was a scary day for sure!

mCat said...

All the same feelings seem to come right back on this day don't they? I think I've cried more today than I have in a awhile. At least since yesterday anyway.

CB said...

To me this will always be a Sacred Day.
I remember that when I was growing up people always knew where they were and what they were doing the day Kennedy was shot.

For this generation it is Where were you and what were you doing on 9/11

tammy said...

Great post. I don't see how anyone could forget this day.